Car Insurance - Protection Against Financial Loss

It is required by law in California to have auto insurance.  Do you know what coverage you need and what is best for you? California state minimum coverage is 15,000/30,000/5,000, but is that enough?  Do you want “full coverage” or liability only?  Do you need uninsured coverage if everyone has to have insurance?  What is  Medical coverage?  I have health insurance so will that help me?

There are many questions and all too often they go unanswered.  Dannah Insurance Solutions is dedicated to answering all of your questions and leaving you with a better understanding of your policy, and its coverages.  No one wants to have to use their insurance policy but in the event you do need it, you will have a better understanding of what it is and how it will help you. 

Questions to ask your agent:

As your Independent Agent, we would be an advocate for finding auto insurance that meets your specific needs. Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:

  • How much can you afford to pay if you get in an accident? (To keep premiums low you may want to have a higher deductible and be willing to pay more for repairs.)

  • What is the insurance company's level of service and ability to pay claims?
  • What discounts are available? (Ask about good driver, multi-policy, and good student discounts.

  • What's the procedure for filing and settling a claim? (Ask who to call and what happens after you file a claim.)

How do I read my Policy?

  • Bodily Injury Liability: Provides coverage to an accident victim in the event of a lawsuit and is required by the State of California

  • Property Damage Liability: This covers the cost of any damage that your vehicle causes to another person's property.  While this      usually refers to the other vehicles involved in an accident, it can also include homes, garages, and anything else that counts as property.

  • Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist: This pays for the damages that result from an accident caused by an uninsured motorist.  This also pays for damage which cost more than an under-insured motorist's coverage can pay for.

  • Medical Payments: This offers medical coverage for the policyholder and his or her family in the even of a collision, regardless of fault.  It will also provide coverage for pedestrians who are hit by a vehicle.  Many options are available to provide funeral expenses and other important coverage needed when you are hurt and cannot work.
  • Collision: Covers damage done to your vehicle when it collides with another vehicle or object.

  • Comprehensive: Covers damager to your vehicle resulting from something other than a collision.  Examples for this would be hitting a deer, broken windshield, theft or flood.

  • Other Misc. Coverage: This varies depending on the insurance provider.